Great article from a fellow home inspector!
There was a house fire in Tignish, PEI on Sunday, July 5, 2015. Thankfully no one seems to have been injured. According to the Tignish Fire Department, the cause may have been an air exchanger in the house.
These air exchangers or as their properly known, heat recovery ventilators (HRV’s), have been linked to a number of fires in North America over the last several years. In many cases the cause was an overheating motor within the unit.
Venmar, the company that manufactures them, announced a recall in 2010. The recall was expanded in November of 2014. Note that many of these products will not have the name Venmar on them and that they may be under a variety of different badge names.
If you have any kind of…
View original post 45 more words