Infrared thermal imaging is becoming a large part of home inspection. It is now a standard service offered by Avelar Home Inspection Inc. in all home inspections.
Avelar Home Inspection Inc. uses a FLIR C2 for building diagnostics.
Where does IR Thermal imaging come into play?
- Water/Moisture: Can be used to locate areas where water is evaporating (cooler spots) or standing (possible cold or hot spots; water has a high thermal capacity)
- Heat: Insulation quality is observed as warmer or cooler patterns due to conductive differences. This allows us to see spots where insulation is not as effective as it should be, or not there at all.
- Building Systems Evaluation: Can be used to locate faults in electrical, plumbing or mechanical systems (such as the service box or HVAC)
- Pests: It can even help locate pests inside of walls.
- Solar Panels: Can help locate dead cells and other issues